In 2007, Backstage Dance Academy was established in Berwick with 80 young dance students, under the direction of 20 year old Jess Solomon. After spending 2006 performing at Tokyo Disneyland, Jess was passionate about returning to Melbourne to develop a dance studio that has the best of both worlds with the technical standard, choreography, and teaching quality of an inner city studio, as well as the friendly community vibe of a suburban studio.
Over the years, Backstage has developed into one of the leading studios in Melbourne, covering all styles of dance and performing arts, as well as tumbling, acrobatics and cheerleading. As well as professional training and amazing opportunities, Backstage continues to evolve and innovate year after year reaching new levels of dance technique, choreography and enjoyment.
Now located in state of the art facilities in Narre Warren, Backstage Dance Academy is a second home to over 500 students. Whilst most students live locally, many students travel from all over to undertake classes and training at Backstage. With classes 6 days a week and multiple streams of classes (beginners to pre-professional) Backstage easily cater for a variety of ages and abilities with superb timetabling, many exciting and valuable opportunities, and fun in-house activities.
With clear and well thought out policies and procedures, the environment is safe, organised and well planned. Backstage is dedicated to providing an environment that focuses on the children and young adults developing life skills including independence, confidence, resilience and organisation.
If you’re looking to start for the first time, or to pursue a career in dance, Backstage certainly has it all under the one roof.
Backstage Dance Academy strive to provide high quality and innovative dance training.
Classes are offered in a safe, organised and vibrant environment with highly skilled teachers who hold the experience and/or relevant qualifications for their fields.
We believe that through involvement with BDA, students are encouraged to develop technical precision, dance artistry, strong work ethic, leadership skills, self esteem, team spirit and strong friendships.
Backstage Dance Academy strives to provide extensive opportunities to further enhance the student’s enjoyment, experience and development.
1. Don’t stress about choosing a recreational OR professional studio, you have the best of both worlds at Backstage.
2. The whole family can enjoy classes (and discounts) by participating in activities under the same roof. We offer dance, singing, acting, acrobatics, cheerleading and tumbling classes. We offer classes for children and adults, boys and girls.
3. Start as a beginner and then progress to an advanced program at an age and time that suits you. Students at Backstage learn a high level of correct technique from age 3 so parents can relax knowing that their child can pursue dance more seriously at any age and will have the foundation technique and skills to do so.
4. Spacious, safe and professional venue. Proper dance flooring, equipment, heating, cooling and more!
5. Various streams of learning to ensure that each dancer is in a class with like-minded students who are of a similar standard. Beginners will feel comfortable starting in a class with other beginners.
6. Amazing optional opportunities including activities, examinations, performances, workshops and competitions. Students have performed on TV, in musicals, in the Moomba parade, community shows and more!
7. We share your values. Our studio encourages important values such as committment, effort, respect, accountability, resilience and work ethic whilst also promoting an active, healthy, and creative lifestyle.
8. Be part of a community where you can socialise, have fun, and meet new friends. Many of our students and their families have become lifelong friends.
9. Our concert is optional for recreational students and a specific concert just for pre-schoolers.