PRE-PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM FOR 5-18 YRS
The ‘Industry’ program is an exclusive part-time pre-professional performing arts program for school aged dance students, aged 5-18 years. This innovative program has been developed to cater for the most dedicated and capable dance students who are aiming to pursue dance and performing arts at an elite level.
All students will benefit from the Industry program, with the development of life skills and values that are established through the training program. Technically students will develop correct technique, flexibility, strength, control, posture, and athletic endurance. Creatively, students will develop artistry, musicality, stagecraft, performance skills and theatre knowledge. Most importantly, students will develop discipline, reliability, accountability, teamwork skills and commitment. Students can work towards gaining leadership roles within the program, such as ‘Dance Captain’ and ‘School Captain’.
Industry program students undertake various weekly dance and performing arts classes in a group environment with like-minded individuals, as well as pursuing a number of dance and performance opportunities. There are compulsory and optional classes (which can be viewed later in the information pack) in a range of genres to assist students to develop well rounded skills and to become a versatile dancer and student. There are also a variety of additional specialist programs available to support elite skills and talent in specific areas such as Classical Ballet or Acrobatics.
One of the main benefits of the program is that the quality of training is that of an inner-city studio with the community benefits of a suburban studio. Students won’t get lost in the crowd of a big city studio, with capped class sizes and a small team of teachers who teach and oversee the program. The controlled number of enrolments in the program also encourages students to develop strong friendships within their classes.
Students in the Industry program will benefit from the many professional connections that the director and teachers hold with various Industry professionals, teachers, agencies and more. The teacher’s backgrounds in the performing arts industry is a stepping stone for the BDA students to become connected and involved in the Melbourne and Australian dance scene. Through these connections, students have been offered to perform in music videos, to be demonstrators at dance events and more.
Backstage Dance Academy (BDA) is well known for the abundance of opportunities that are offered to their students. Dancers in the Industry program have the opportunity to:
• perform at competitions (usually 3 a year)
• perform at community events (Berwick Show, Doveton Show, Casey Kids Carnival etc)
• perform at televised events such as Masters of Choreography and the Melbourne Moomba parade
• undertake regular workshops with some of Australia’s best Industry professionals (Performer’s Pathway Program & School Holiday workshops)
• undertake the prestigious Cecchetti Classical Ballet syllabus and participate in Cecchetti Ballet examinations, workshops, award days and conventions.
• participate in BDA in-house events including an own chorography competition, improvisation competition, and audition competition.
• perform in the BDA Annual concerts including the singing concert, and end of year Annual Showcase.
• participate in the BDA Annual Musical.
• participate in the ‘Teacher Training Program’, a program specially designed for promising teachers. Students undertake training with the BDA director and teachers to learn and develop their teaching skills. Students also assist in Junior classes on a weekly basis to gain practical experience. Many students of BDA go on to teach dance at BDA and other studios in Victoria and this program is invaluable for pursuing these opportunities.
• participate in various performance opportunities. Throughout the year, BDA are often invited to perform at various fundraising and corporate events.
• participate in the NEW Senior show. New in 2020, our 14’s and OA students have the opportunity to contribute creatively and perform in a BDA senior show. NEW IN 2020!
• attend Senior Camp: 14’s and OA students will attend a team camp to build friendships within the group, to develop themselves and their team, and to have an amazing time!
• gain the ‘School Captain’ leadership role. One student each year is selected as the school captain of Backstage Dance Academy. This ultimate leadership role gives the student the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and to have valuable input into BDA.
• gain a ‘Dance Captain’ leadership roles. One student from each age group will be selected as the Dance Captain for their team.
To download our 2020 Industry Information pack, click here.
To download the 2020 Timetable, click here.
For more information, please contact us.